Several of the CBMS member societies have posted formal protests of President Trump’s Executive Order temporarily suspending entry benefits to citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries. They express a common concern that this action could adversely affect the health and vitality of America’s universities, research institutes, and industrial sector.
Societies that have posted protests include:
- American Mathematical Society
- American Statistical Association
- Institute for Operation Research and Management Science
- Mathematical Association of America
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- TODOS: Mathematics for All
In addition, several societies, including AMS, ASA, AWM, MAA, and SIAM have signed onto the AAAS letter of January 31, 2017 to President Trump.